A home and lifeline for orphaned and vulnerable children in Lesotho, Africa
The St. Camillus Centre provides a loving shelter, nutrition and education for orphans and vulnerable children. The Centre’s mission is to keep these children healthy, well-nourished, and to educate and protect them from abuse.
Thank you to the generosity of the US Peace Corps, Slow Food-Italy, Water Charity, and the many private donors of The Lesotho Connection & GoFundMe for helping St. Camillus Centre raise the funds necessary to build a Sustainable Farm – in the nick of time.
Southern Africa is in a severe drought and the country of Lesotho is in a state of emergency. The projects completed because of the donations helped The Centre avert a potential disaster.
St. Camillus was able to:
- Complete the irrigation project and plant over an acre of cabbages and peppers, in the midst of a severe drought
- Drill a 60 meterl well to provide water to the orphanage, the fields, & farm animals
- Install a greenhouse that will provide the children vegetables year-round
- Purchase seedlings, seeds, fertilizer, pesticide, and farm equipment
- Provide “grown in Lesotho” fresh vegetables to the people of Mohale’s Hoek
- Pay wages to farm laborers, thus improving the local economy
- Improve the health and weight of the children by providing nutritious food
- Take the first steps to reducing dependency on donations